Christchurch based natural skincare brand Au Natural Skinfood has launched an innovative and industry-leading skincare line with sustainability at its core replacing traditional single-use plastic packaging.
The natural and cruelty-free skincare company has become the first brand in the world to deliver a complete skincare range using 100% reusable, compostable or recyclable packaging with the focus to minimize the environmental impact, 7 years ahead of a commitment recently made by international brands L’Oréal, Unilever, Coca-Cola and Nestle to achieve this by 2025.
Single-use plastic is one of the most pervasive products threatening our environment today, with over 480 billion new bottles piling up in landfills each year. With this in mind, they set about designing a skincare range that, thanks to a clever system of plant-based eco-refills and reusable containers, reduces packaging size and eliminates the need of single use plastic.
“Reuse, Reduce and Recycle” is the philosophy behind the Au Natural concept, and it’s a mantra that myself and my team keep in mind in our everyday life” says Tony Ahern CEO & Founder of Au Natural Skinfood.
“We want to help people understand that small day-to-day decisions, such as choosing an eco-friendly skincare, can really have a positive impact on the environment. Making these small changes on a mass scale will help solve the plastic pollution problem our world is facing.”
THE SECRET IS IN THE PACKAGING
The system they designed is revolutionary: instead of encouraging people to just recycle plastic containers, they decided to make Au Natural’s packaging reusable and refillable via plant-based eco-refills. Au have designed a packaging solution that is truly unique:
- The skincare products are packaged in reusable and refillable aluminium containers.
- Top-ups of the skincare are delivered in plant-based eco-refills.
- The eco-refills use natural plant-based products, such as sugarcane and corn-starch, as the raw material – a renewable source that reduces carbon dioxide, rather than releasing it.
- Reusable tin containers are used for external packaging.
- Even the internal disposable cardboard packing has been replaced by reusable cotton shopping bags.
- Your order is then delivered in a 100% compostable courier bag meaning the delivery materials are 100% eco-friendly and waste-free.
- The system reduced the packaging size by 75% – not only do they cut down the use of raw materials, but they also reduced their carbon footprint along the supply chain by creating smaller, and lighter products to store, distributed, ship and courier.
Their “Thinking Green” philosophy doesn’t just apply to the packaging and delivery materials used, but also to the formulations of their products. The Au Natural Skinfood range is natural and made with pure, New Zealand sourced ingredients. They are also chemical and cruelty free, pregnancy safe and New Zealand Vegetarian Society endorsed.
For more information, please contact: Maria Giulia Virgolini , Brand Manager for Au Natural Skinfood
SKINCARE WITH SUSTAINABILITY AT ITS CORE.
PUTTING THE PLANET BEFORE HUMAN CONVENIENCE.
ETHICALLY AND SOCIALLY COMMITED SKINCARE.
DISCOVER A SKINCARE BRAND THAT THINKS GREEN.